Sledgehammer Games and Activision have just blown the lid off Advanced Warfare’s multiplayer. Here’s a summary of what was revealed during the multiplayer reveal live stream but expect a more in-depth write up for all the new features that were announced. For now, let us get you up to speed…
Pick 13 – The Create a Class system that was introduced during Black Ops 2 is returning, except now you have room for 13 options instead of 10. Scorestreak selection is now part of the system and you now have the option to have a 4th Scoresteak if you use a wild card to enable it.
Upgrade Scorestreaks – Every Scorestreak in Advanced Warfare now has the option to upgrade it and make it more powerful but it comes at cost. The stronger you make the Scorestreak, the more points it takes to earn it.
Supply drops – Also known as random loot, are earned in-game from challenges that can contain anywhere from 1-3 items at random. And Each item is either a common, good, or rare item (defined by 3 colors so you can tell: Enlisted, Professional, Elite). Supply drop items consist of 1) special gun combinations that include rare camos and rare gun designs. 2) Player gear like helmets, exo’s, vest, etc.. 3) In game reinforcements or enhancements that are very similar to Titanfall burn cards. All items that you earned are saved in “The Armory” which is a vault that saves up to 84 items.
Exo-Abilities – Every solider has the new unlimited double jump and dash ability, but you can pick one additional special ability through the new Pick 13 system. These new exo abilities are activated by the player during the match (LB- Left Bumper), and used until the Exo Battery is depleted.
- Exo Shield – A quick-deploy shield attached to your exo’s arm
- Exo Overclock – Increased footspeed
- Exo Stim – Temporary health regeneration beyond normal levels
- Exo Cloak – Short duration visual concealment
- Exo Hover – Short duration hovering in place
- Exo Ping – Shows enemy movement and weapon fire in the HUD
- Exo Trophy System – Destroys incoming grenades and rockets for a limited period of time
Create-an-Operator – Customize your own in-game character like never before. Similar to the Ghosts customization but now with more options. You can now also customize Eye wear, Tops, Gloves, Pants, Kneeguards, boots, and Exos.
Virtual Firing Range – While you’re in create-a-class or waiting in the lobby for the next match to start, you can now seamlessly jump into a virtual firing range with NO LOAD TIME while you wait for the next match to start. Perfect for people you want to test their configurations before the next match.
Co-op Scorestreaks – Some Scorestreaks will have the option to have a second person to assist during the Scorestreak. One example shown was 2 people on a Chopper Gunner type scorestreak called ‘Warbird”. In addition to customizable scorestreaks, the game introduces Co-Op Scorestreaks, which for the first time, two players can now join up a scorestreak and work together. This is the perfect example of teamwork for those players that rack up score, with those that may not always get the chance to experience the high-end scorestreaks. Teaming up on a Warbird is a perfect way to gain the advantage on the battlefield.
New Weapon Class – “The high tech nature of 2054 is coming to multiplayer and there is no better example than the directed energy weapons. The new Heavy Weapons class includes directed energy weapons like the EM1 and EMPm2. These new weapons use the power of weaponized energy to overcome enemies. This class of weapon doesn’t rely on reloads, but instead they are known to overheat after too much activity.”
New Game modes:
- Uplink – Similar to Halo’s Oddball, the object is to secure the “Drone” (a ball like device) and reach the uplink station which is big glowing sphere at opposite ends of the map. Jump into the sphere to earn the full 2 points or throw the Drone into the Sphere to earn 1 point.
- Momentum – Advanced Warfare is bringing back the “War” game mode that originally only appeared in World at War. Momentum is the Call of Duty version of tug of war. Five consecutive capture points exist on the map, but only one is active at a time. The more kills and captures your team gets, the faster you are able to capture additional points. Once the other team captures on you, the momentum meter gets reset, so your team needs to be at its best the whole game.
- Clan Wars – Currently being developed by Beachhead Studios, we’re expecting it to be similar to Clan Wars in Ghosts but nothing has been revealed yet.
- Broadcaster Mode – Nothing has been shown yet but it was promised to be available day one at launch.
- Hardpoint Game Mode – Black Ops 2 fans should be familiar with this mode, its returning to Advanced Warfare.
- and more…