During Activision Blizzard’s Q4 Earnings Call, Activision confirmed that Sledgehammer Games will be developing Call of Duty 2017. Activision also said that the Call of Duty 2017 title will ‘take Call of Duty back to its roots.”
During the call, Activision Blizzard COO emphasized that this year’s game will have “traditional combat will once again take center stage,” confirming that the traditional boots on the ground gameplay will be back.
We’re honored & excited to bring this year’s @Callofduty to fans everywhere! It’s our biggest achievement as game makers. Much more to come.
— Sledgehammer Games (@SHGames) February 9, 2017
This year’s title will be Sledgehammer Games’ third Call of Duty title. They previously worked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
Activision Blizzard’s COO said, ““In 2017, Activision will take Call of Duty back to its roots, and traditional combat will once again take center stage. This is what our dedicated community of Call of Duty players and Sledgehammer Games, developing this year’s title, are the most excited about.”
Sledgehammer Games Studio Heads posted statements on Twitter:
— Michael Condrey (@MichaelCondrey) February 9, 2017
Is it official? Can I talk yet? not quite yet, but we listened. We r so psyched about our game & honored to work on such a great franchise.
— Glen Schofield (@GlenSchofield) February 9, 2017
Activision has not announced any specific details regarding Call of Duty 2017. A rumor from November suggested the code name for this year’s title is “Stronghold.” There have also been additional rumors swirling around the internet, many of which are fake.
Activision usually reveals the new Call of Duty titles sometime between April-May, with the game’s launch in November.
As always, stay tuned for the latest news on Call of Duty 2017.