As the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Beta is now offline across platforms, Treyarch has shared on Reddit an extended recap summarizing up all of the big feedback they’ve received and some of the changes they plan to make ahead of the game’s launch on October 12.
Here’s the full recap from Treyarch:
Armor’s role in Blackout is inherently unique compared to its role in MP. You only live once in Blackout, and you’re rewarded for scavenging in areas that often put you in perilous positions, especially as the Collapse gets smaller in the late game. For this and other reasons, we’ve been cautious about making sweeping changes to the way Armor works, though we’ve made some tweaks during the Beta and continue to evaluate how Armor will work at launch.
Every Item in the game, from Armor to Weapons to Perks, is constantly re-evaluated to ensure they fit in the correct place in the game’s meta. You can expect Armor to be tuned multiple times as the game, and the gameplay content, evolves over time.
Some changes to Armor since the start of the Beta include:
- Spawn frequency of Level 3 Armor has been reduced by 75% compared to its initial spawn rate in the Beta.
- Level 3 Armor will now most frequently be found in Stashes and Supply Drops, though it may occasionally spawn in the world.
- Level 3 Armor now breaks sooner and passes more damage to the player wearing it, and still offers headshot and other types of damage mitigation. We’ve heard your concerns that Level 3 Armor was still perhaps too powerful by the end of the Beta, and will be evaluating the data to see what other tweaks may be required.
- Level 2 Armor was also minorly adjusted during the Beta and will potentially be tweaked further in time for launch.
- Players will see an indicator of the condition of their own Armor, and those of their teammates, in the HUD. This provides a more granular indicator of the damage that your Armor has taken beyond the Armor icon and will let you know if it’s time to seek out a replacement.
We saw several reports of footsteps sounding louder or quieter than expected, and not always being able to tell the direction enemies were coming from. Others reported an uneven balance of footstep volume between teammates and enemies. We’re on it. Improvements to how audio will work at launch include:
- Sounds will be properly impacted by walls, floors, ceilings, and other objects in the world. This means enemies directly above or below the player should no longer sound louder than expected.
- The volume of the cargo plane, punching, game countdown timers, and everything else you’ve brought to our attention (and many things you have not) will be reviewed in-depth as part of that process. The game has not yet had its final audio mix.
- Teammates’ footsteps will be quieter compared to enemy footsteps.
- The Awareness Perk will further reduce the loudness of the footsteps of your teammates.
- All audio presets will be available at launch in the Options menu. Audio presets can make a big difference, and we offer many choices for those who play with headphones or surround sound.
Inventory & Item Management
On the first day of the Beta, the community almost unanimously asked for faster Item pickups. As a result, we made pickup speed as fast as possible while still protecting players from accidentally picking up an Item when attempting to reload.
Console players have asked for an option in Settings to allow them to tap a button to instantly pick up an Item. We like this idea a lot, and want to be sure we get it right and test it thoroughly.
The Quick Equip menu can be fantastic for making Inventory adjustments quickly, but could also get in the way of picking up Items, opening doors, or entering vehicles. We adjusted the Quick Equip menu so it automatically closes after a few seconds with no interactions. We are also looking into the feasibility of closing the Quick Equip menu if the player performs other actions such as firing a weapon, changing stance, starting a Sprint, etc.
We’ve already improved the proximity and height at which you can interact with Items on the ground so you don’t have to look down at that Item so precisely. It’s being tested now and is very likely to be in when the game comes out.
Last but not least, we are creating designs for other “quality of life” improvements to these very important game systems including, but not limited to:
- Evaluating options to improve the Stash interface when looting enemies and containers on console.
- Adding a new method to allow you to quickly remove all Attachments from a weapon.
- Incorporating a way to swap Attachments between Weapons, if both Weapons support the same attachment.
Xbox One Performance
We saw some reports of screen tearing and choppiness when playing in Quads on Xbox One, and we’re investigating. There are two specific issues that we have pinpointed on Xbox One that will be fixed for launch:
- Fix for issue where pressing the Xbox button would sometimes cause the player to lose controller input and have to restart.
- Inviting friends to your party will work as expected (not only through the in-game Social menu).
Blackout Beta Stats:
And finally, we’ve got some fun Beta stats to share. While the (very unofficial) numbers, Mason, are still coming in across all platforms, we’ve poked through the data to find some our favorites to share:
- Players eradicated 7.5 million Zombies. Don’t worry, there’s plenty more where those came from.
- Squadmates were revived 26 million times. Thanks for being team players.
- 3.3 billion Items were picked up. That’s “billion” with a B.
- Over 64 million Stashes were spawned. That’s a lot of loot.
- The longest Combat Axe kill distance was 213 meters, or about 698 feet. Well done!
- Players managed to eliminate 123 people with a basketball. Is ball still life?
Most kills by an individual player:
- Solos: 25
- Duos: 29
- Quads: 25
Most kills by a team:
- Duos: 32
- Quads: 38
Stay tuned for the latest Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 news as we get closer to the October 12 launch! It’s almost Call of Duty time.
COD 2020 Teasers: Black Ops 4 Summit map, Treyarch social profile
As we opened our new crates that Activision sent through, Black Ops 4’s Summit map got an update.
The screens in the center of the map in Black Ops 4 turned on which seem to match to what some of our slides show:
There’s also a look at clocks of 4 out of the 5 locations that some of us got as part of the slides to see:
These changes do appear to be new, especially the screens with the targets on them. Analyzing older images of the maps showcase that the screens were not showing the same thing.
In addition, Treyarch has updated their cover photo on social channels.
It’s getting cold out there…
Gameplay from Black Ops 4’s canceled campaign mode revealed
A user on Reddit, r/BlackOps4, has shared what appears to be the very first footage of gameplay from the canceled campaign mode of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which released in October 2018, was the first Call of Duty game to not have a traditional campaign mode, instead opting to have three online-based modes.
Treyarch insisted throughout the year that they really didn’t have plans for a campaign and were focusing on an online connected experience for Black Ops 4, but many reports and sources described the campaign as being too ambitious and canceled because of issues with development.
On Reddit, a user has shared about two minutes of alpha footage of the gameplay of Black Ops 4’s campaign. The campaign, in alpha-state footage (meaning its not complete), had a very similar HUD to the MP experience of Black Ops 4. The user claims that the campaign and MP were supposed to be connected, and that’s why the HUD is so similar.
The gameplay starts by showing a message of “FIND THE AQUILUS CEO.”
Here’s the gameplay footage:
The user who posted this has not said where they got this gameplay footage as of now. He said he only has this footage, alongside an augmented footage of the engine of BO4, which he is not releasing at this time.
Double XP live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 through February 6
To celebrate the big game this weekend, Treyarch is activating Double XP Quad Feed in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 this weekend – starting now.
Live in game now is:
- 2XP in MP
- 2XP in Zombies
- 2XP Party Game Moshpit
All of this is live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. This is live through February 6 at 10AM PT.
For those still enjoying Black Ops 4, enjoy a new XP weekend!
Dead Ops Arcade set to return in Black Ops Cold War
Treyarch has teased the return of a fan favorite Zombies experience for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. In...
BlacK Ops Cold War Zombies Characters: MP Operators & more
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s Zombies brings a a twist to the mode that is unique, and never...
Black Ops Cold War – Die Maschine Intro Cinematic
The Zombies reveals continues. Treyarch has released the new Die Maschine Intro Cinematic video on the Call of Duty YouTube...