During a Twitch stream today, popular content creators revealed a first look at the brand new Gunfight mode coming to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare MP this October 25.
Back in late May, during our trip to Infinity Ward, we had a chance to see and also play the new Gunfight mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
In this post, we’re breaking down the exact details on how the Gunfight mode works in MP and some of our impressions of this mode after playing it.
Gunfight Mode Details
Here’s the rundown of how Gunfight works in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare:
- Gunfight is only 2v2
- Gunfight features specially designed maps for this mode only. Three maps have been shown today:
- King: Interior of warehouse
- Pine: Dense Forest
- Stack: Desert Container Yard
- There is no create a class in the Gunfight mode.
- The load outs are set for each player, and the load outs that players play with change every 2 rounds.
- There is 6 rounds total per match
- When the match starts, the timer gives you 40 seconds to win the round
- If after 40 seconds there is no winner, a flag appears on the map. Players have to run to the flag and defend it for 3 seconds to secure the win.
- If no one can defend the flag within the new time limit, the round will end and the team with the most total health left wins
- There is 100 health per player, combined for 200 health between the two players
- You do not heal in this mode and auto-health regeneration is disabled for this mode. The health amount is set.
- The top of the screen shows the combined health per team, allowing you to see how much damage you have done and how much health your team has left.
As mentioned above, we had a chance to play and checkout this mode at Infinity Ward back in May. For those of you who loved Face-Off in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, this mode is for you. It’s the perfect mode for those grudge matches to take on friends in a 2v2 action.
This mode has set classes already, so all players are on the level playing field and have an equal opportunity at winning from just the arsenal available. There’s no opportunity to create your own class going in to Gunfight, which may be a negative aspect for some players, but having set classes really tests the skills of each player’s ability with all of the weapons. During our play session, there were random set ups given — going from pistols to rocket launchers to use.
Playing the mode at Infinity Ward, it’s clear that this mode is designed to be a fun, hectic gameplay that fans can play when taking a break from the traditional MP experience that the title offers. And it’s designed to have maps that are separately built for this mode only, which again adds more content to the overall game experience — similar to what Face-Off did for Modern Warfare 3. Face-Off allowed for 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3, but Gunfight is only 2v2 which works for the mode.
Infinity Ward did not answer a question on the total maps available in the game overall across MP, but there’s 3 Gunfight maps confirmed for now.
Gunfight is just a small portion of the entire MP Mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. It’s a single mode, and the focus of today’s reveal. One of the things you will notice is that the realism aspect discussed for the campaign mode for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare does carry over to MP as well.
And by the way, all of the NBA and NFL events you’ve seen this year where athletes were playing Modern Warfare, you only saw 2 players on a team because they were playing Gunfight.
The full reveal of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Multiplayer will take place on August 1 at 10AM PT.