GameInformer has shared their latest podcast episode in which they go in depth on their impressions of Blackout. The GameInformer team visited Treyarch a while back and got to play Blackout for over 2 hours.
A user on Reddit summarized all of the impressions the GameInformer staff shared:
- GameInformer stated that they didn’t know what the hype was like for this mode. Their cover story didn’t get as much hype as expected. One of them says it could be because of COD franchise fatigue.
- Plays more like PUBG than Fortnite (like a super smooth PUBG). “Stable version of PUBG”
- At one point, they mentioned that this is basically the better version of PUBG that console players have been asking for
- As long as the beta goes well, Blackout will probably be a big success
- The devs at Treyarch are really excited about Blackout
- Played with full 80 players (studio heads, designers & testers)
- Endless opportunities to combine different perks, equipment, vehicles, etc. to create a tactical advantage (chopper + sensor dart, RC car + sensor dart, etc.)
- As the circle gets smaller, it gets more “intense” – more hallucinations & distortions in late game
- Vehicles & equipment won’t work outside the circle
- Vehicles are very easy to drive/fly – Land/sea vehicles use sticks to move forward/backward, not triggers
- Vehicles are not difficult to destroy
- Craziest moment in testing so far was a 3-way chopper fight in the air
- Grapple Gun can only be used 5 times – all gear has limited uses
- Blackout is the most diverse BR experience created (Each area feels organic in the world, but unique places to visit)
- Bunkers below Nuketown that is partially flooded
- Nuketown Sign shows number of players on the island itself, not the entire map
- There are a lot of things you can interact with in the environment (like the basketball court in Estates)
- Map doesn’t feel small at all. Feels perfectly sized for this game.
- Sprinting from Estates to Factory takes 5 minutes – you have to be sprinting the whole time to make it in that time
- Previous iteration had craftables where you had to find pieces to assemble different gear/abilities
- AI Zombies show a beacon of light above them. 5-8 zombies total. Not a big threat outside of making noise to attract other players.
- One size backpack – Navigating backpack/enemy death stash is very easy & intuitive
- Quests to unlock characters – have to find an item in the map tied to that character (battery’s war machine) and do a specific task related to that item/character – higher tier skins have more difficult quests
- “The game is about finding items, not searching for items”
COD 2020 Teasers: Black Ops 4 Summit map, Treyarch social profile
As we opened our new crates that Activision sent through, Black Ops 4’s Summit map got an update.
The screens in the center of the map in Black Ops 4 turned on which seem to match to what some of our slides show:
There’s also a look at clocks of 4 out of the 5 locations that some of us got as part of the slides to see:
These changes do appear to be new, especially the screens with the targets on them. Analyzing older images of the maps showcase that the screens were not showing the same thing.
In addition, Treyarch has updated their cover photo on social channels.
It’s getting cold out there…
Gameplay from Black Ops 4’s canceled campaign mode revealed
A user on Reddit, r/BlackOps4, has shared what appears to be the very first footage of gameplay from the canceled campaign mode of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which released in October 2018, was the first Call of Duty game to not have a traditional campaign mode, instead opting to have three online-based modes.
Treyarch insisted throughout the year that they really didn’t have plans for a campaign and were focusing on an online connected experience for Black Ops 4, but many reports and sources described the campaign as being too ambitious and canceled because of issues with development.
On Reddit, a user has shared about two minutes of alpha footage of the gameplay of Black Ops 4’s campaign. The campaign, in alpha-state footage (meaning its not complete), had a very similar HUD to the MP experience of Black Ops 4. The user claims that the campaign and MP were supposed to be connected, and that’s why the HUD is so similar.
The gameplay starts by showing a message of “FIND THE AQUILUS CEO.”
Here’s the gameplay footage:
The user who posted this has not said where they got this gameplay footage as of now. He said he only has this footage, alongside an augmented footage of the engine of BO4, which he is not releasing at this time.
Double XP live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 through February 6
To celebrate the big game this weekend, Treyarch is activating Double XP Quad Feed in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 this weekend – starting now.
Live in game now is:
- 2XP in MP
- 2XP in Zombies
- 2XP Party Game Moshpit
All of this is live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. This is live through February 6 at 10AM PT.
For those still enjoying Black Ops 4, enjoy a new XP weekend!
Modern Warfare Oct 1 Update: Survival mode
One year later, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Special Ops Survival Mode is now available on all platforms. Special Ops...
Call of Duty: Mobile reaches one billion hours played monthly
Call of Duty: Mobile continues to see incredible success since it’s launch one year ago on October 1, 2019. A...
Dead Ops Arcade set to return in Black Ops Cold War
Treyarch has teased the return of a fan favorite Zombies experience for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. In...