Microsoft has published a news post on the Xbox Wire providing some additional details on the next-generation of Xbox called Xbox Series X.
The company revealed first details on the console back during The Game Awards, including giving fans a look at the actual console.
In the Xbox Wire post, the company has revealed that Xbox Series X will support ray-tracing, cross buy of games with current generation of consoles, and more.
A superior balance of power and speed
Compared to the previous generation, Xbox Series X represents a superior balance of power and speed in console design, advancing on all technological fronts to delivering amazing, dynamic, living worlds and minimize any aspects that can take you out of the experience. Our job at Team Xbox is to give teams the tools they need to achieve their ambitions and tap into the console’s power with efficiency, a few of which we’re detailing today. Raw power is just part of the story:
- Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
- Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
- Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
Immersion in an instant
The next console generation will be defined by more playing and less waiting. And when play begins, we know many gamers demand ultra-low latency to be as immersed and precise as possible. To this end, the team analyzed every step between player and game, from controller to console to display, and asked how we could make it faster.
- SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
- Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
- Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
- HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
- 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.
The next generation of game compatibility
The benefits of the next console generation extend in every direction, bringing greater visual fidelity and improved loading speeds to your existing gaming legacy, in addition to new games. We’re continuing our commitment to compatibility with Xbox Series X and investing in technology that makes game ownership easier across generations.
- Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
- Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
- Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.
A generation with players at the center
Xbox Series X is our fastest, most powerful console ever, designed for a console generation that has you at its center. This means a high-fidelity gaming experience enclosed in a quiet and bold design, with the ability to discover thousands of games across four generations, all with more playing and less waiting.
Whether it’s empowering amazing creators at our 15 Xbox Game Studios, fueling game discovery with Xbox Game Pass, or expanding what and where you can play with Project xCloud, Team Xbox stands for frictionless pathways between players and the best experiences our remarkable art form has to offer. Xbox Series X represents that same commitment for players who want immediate immersion in games that also look and feel better than ever.
How to install Black Ops Cold War PS5 high-resolution texture packs
Here’s how PS5 users can download new high-resolution texture packs for Black Ops Cold War, making the game look better than ever.
PlayStation 5 Black Ops Cold War players have been treated to some brand new high-resolution texture packs with the Season 4 Reloaded update, so here’s how to install the Cold War PS5 high-resolution texture packs.
Black Ops Cold War’s mid-season update is almost here, finally bringing the Mauer Der Toten Zombies map, the OTs 9 SMG, and Tactical Nukes to regular multiplayer modes. On top of that, PlayStation 5 players will get some brand new high-resolution texture packs for “the best visual experience.”
Here’s when you can start downloading the new texture packs and how to apply them to Black Ops Cold War.
Black Ops Cold War’s Season 4 Reloaded update is now live, and all of its new content is now available for players to experience. When you launch Cold War for the first time after the update, you’ll be prompted to download the new high-resolution texture pack.
This gives significant graphical improvements to the game, making even the game look even better if you’re playing at 4K. Warzone has already received these texture packs, but now they’ve come to Cold War on PS5.
Players were met with a “This content can’t be found” error message up until now when trying to download these packs. However, they are now available for players to utilize. You will be met with an image like the one below:
How to install Black Ops Cold War PS5 high-resolution texture packs
Here’s how to download the high-resolution texture packs following Season 4 Reloaded going live:
- Launch Black Ops Cold War
- Accept the on-screen download prompt
- Follow the on-screen steps to download and install the texture pack
If you don’t accept the prompt the first time it pops up, you can find the high-resolution texture packs through the Game Installs menu. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Black Ops Cold War
- Click ‘R3’ (Right Analog Stick) while on the main menu to bring up File Management
- Locate the new high-resolution texture pack
- Follow the on-screen steps to download and install the texture pack
And that’s it! Black Ops Cold War multiplayer, Zombies and Dead Ops Arcade 3 will be looking their best on the PlayStation 5.
You can also check out how to get daily Double XP Tokens in Cold War Season 4 and beyond.
Image Credit: Activision / Treyarch
Battlefield 2042: Last-gen vs. next-gen console differences
Battlefield 2042 players on PS4 & Xbox One will play on smaller maps with less enemies than PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC.
Battlefield 2042 officially launches on October 22, 2021, but players who purchase the game on next-gen consoles like the PS5 or Xbox Series X/S are set to enjoy a different experience compared to their PS5 and Xbox One counterparts.
After weeks of hype, Battlefield 2042 was finally announced on June 9, 2021. The first entry in the series for almost 3 years, 2042 brings three exciting multiplayer modes, although no single-player or battle royale mode at launch. On top of that, Specialists make their first appearance in the Battlefield franchise this year, with 10 characters equipped with their own abilities to help you in combat.
Set to be the biggest and most ambitious Battlefield game to date, there had been rumors that the game would skip the last generation of consoles entirely. While we now know that isn’t the case, there will be some major differences between the two versions of the game.
Battlefield 2042 on PS4, Xbox One vs PS5, Xbox Series X, PC
During a pre-launch presentation with DICE and EA, the developers confirmed that the game was built with next-gen players in mind, with 128 players on PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC.
Unfortunately for those still using older hardware, DICE and EA state that lobbies will max out at the usual 64 players, meaning that you won’t be able to experience the same combat as those with newer hardware.
Due to the fact that there are fewer players, Battlefield 2042’s maps will be “tailored to smaller scale to ensure epic battles,” although gameplay and mid-map events will “all be the same” regardless of what platform you play on.
In a recent briefing from Battlefield’s Senior Design Director, Dan Berlin, DICE provided more details on the differences between the two versions.
“Our intention is to ensure that nothing detracts from the overall experience of playing Battlefield 2042,” he explained. The main differences are that they’ve reduced the player count and “made adjustments to the playable area on the maps to ensure a fluid play experience.”
He reiterated that “Weapons, Vehicles, Specialists and Gadgets all remain the same no matter what generation of console you’re playing on.” Weather effects and “Environmental Hazards like EMP storms will also be experienced by all players,” he continued.
In the same briefing, DICE also confirmed that Battlefield 2042 will feature crossplay. However, Xbox One and PS4 users won’t be able to play with their next-gen counterparts and will be limited to matchmaking with the previous
- Read more: Will Battlefield 2042 be on Xbox Game Pass?
On the bright side, Battlefield 2042 will also feature cross-progression and cross-commerce, so if you decide to either advance to the next generation of consoles or switch to PC, you’ll keep all of your progress and purchases.
While this is likely to be disappointing for those on PS4 and Xbox One, it doesn’t come as a huge surprise. While the last-gen consoles are powerful, EA and DICE have to ensure that gameplay and graphics remain spectacular, and it’s possible that the older hardware wasn’t capable of handling 124 players.
How this will actually feel while playing the game remains to be seen, and we’ll have to wait until we get our hands on the Battlefield 2042 Open Beta to be sure.
Image Credits: EA / DICE
How to fix Warzone’s never-ending “Update Requires Restart” loop on PlayStation & Xbox
Warzone’s developers have offered a potential fix for console players having to continuously reinstall the most recent update.
Warzone players on console have been stuck in a never-ending update loop where they need to install the update multiple times over, but Raven Software has offered players a solution to fix this frustrating issue.
Since Warzone’s update on April 6, some console players have had to install the same updates over and over. This has continued into Season 4, and the never-ending update loop is still preventing players from accessing Call of Duty: Warzone as the download never completes.
Some players reported this issue after the mid-Season 2 update dropped, but the problem appears to be a persistent nuisance all the way into Season 4.
Fixing CoD: Warzone’s never-ending “Update Requires Restart” issue
To end the update loop and access the game, players have reported that they have had to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it.
However, Raven Software acknowledged the issue in Warzone and has possible solutions for frustrated players.
Install Modern Warfare Campaign & Special Ops Packs
A solution for Warzone players that Raven has recommended is for players to have all of the game’s content installed, this includes the game’s Campaign and Special Ops side content.
Usually, players will delete the Campaign or Spec Ops once they feel they’ve played all there is to play, but in this case, it might help with the update issue.
To do this:
- Load Modern Warfare or Warzone
- Go to the DLC Management screen from the Main menu or via the Settings menu
- Install both of the Campaign & Special Ops Packs
Perform a Hard Reset of the PlayStation or Xbox
If you’re getting the message endlessly, then an easy fix for many is to simply shut down the console, and boot it up again.
To do this, simply:
- Hold down the main power button for a few seconds until it begins to shut down
- Wait until you know for sure that the system has ended all operations
- Unplug the console’s mains, and leave it to rest for a few minutes
- Plug it back in and start up the console again
- Load up Warzone and see if the issue persists
Uninstall and Reinstall Call of Duty: Warzone / Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
The option that no one, understandably, wants to do as it will take a large amount of time and effort to reinstall Call of Duty’s large file size.
However, it is a solution, and one that you may have to try. If you’re going to do attempt this long process, this is what you’ll need to do.
- Go to your system’s memory storage settings
- Find ‘Call of Duty: Warzone’ and/or ‘Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’ and then press to delete them from your hard drive
- Allow the process to complete, and then reinstall them
Raven emphasized that one of these solutions should fix the update loop, but asked players to let them know the results. You can get in touch either through their Twitter or the CoD Warzone subreddit.
While this bug has most often been reported on PlayStation and Xbox, it’s worth trying to adapt these solutions for PC too. Also, if you have the same issue on Black Ops Cold War, it’s worth trying this method here too.
Also, check out how to get Black Ops 4 for free with PlayStation Plus.
Image Credit: Activision
World Series of Warzone EU Trios: Draft, teams, standings & format
The World Series of Warzone is kicking competitive Warzone up a notch, and we have the teams, draft, standings and...
Where to place a Bioscanner in an Alien Biome for Fortnite Week 9 Quests
Here's where to find and place a Bioscanner in Alien Biomes to complete one of the Fortnite Season 7 Week...
Apex Legends Season 10: Emergence weapon buffs and nerfs
We've put together all the upcoming buffs and nerfs coming to the weapons in Apex Legends Season 10, let's take...