The next major software release for the PlayStation 4 console, update 3.0, is now available worldwide for users to download. The new update introduces the ability to upload videos natively to Twitter (up to 10 seconds), live stream directly to YouTube (including to YouTube Gaming), and more.
Here’s the full feature lists, announced by Sony:
- Sharing video clips to Twitter: Now it’s easy to share video clips to Twitter directly from your PS4. You’ll see a new icon on the Upload Video Clip menu, nestled between Facebook and YouTube. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips. Don’t forget — you can double tap the Share button to start recording a video, and press it again to stop.
- PlayStation Plus: We’ve made a dedicated section for PlayStation Plus, which you can access by clicking the big Plus icon on the top right corner of your PS4 home screen. Once there you can easily manage your membership, see the monthly free games to download, deals for PS Plus members, and all of the games you’ve redeemed through PS Plus on PS4.
- YouTube live: You’ll see a new icon for YouTube on the Broadcast Gameplay Screen, accessible after hitting the Share button. Now you can live stream directly from your PS4 to YouTube. Livestreams will be viewable across YouTube.
- PNG Screenshots: If you’d like your game screenshots to be in a higher quality format, you can now select PNG instead of JPEG. To access, press Share > Share Settings > Screenshot Settings > Image Format.
- Events: A new hub for Events has been added to PS4, accessible from the home screen. This will give you an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, here’s an in-game racing event taking place in Project Cars, which you can register for directly from the Events hub.
- Improvements to Messages and Favorite Groups: We’ve improved Messages by making it easier to access groups of people you chat and play games with frequently. Once you’re added to or create a group, you’ll see the online status for friends, what games they are playing, and the option to message or chat in party all in one spot. When you add or create a new favorite group, they’ll appear in your Friends app under Favorite Groups for quick access. For example, you can see we have favorite groups for Call of Duty, Rocket League, and Destiny.
- Communities: PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties / games.
- Stickers: From the PS4 system’s Messages app, you’ll see a new option for Stickers. The 3.00 update will contain stickers themed around Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Knack, LittleBigPlanet 3, Resogun, and more. Instead of typing out a message, just send a sticker — like Drake looking at a watch, asking you to wait a minute.”
SOURCE: PS Blog
PlayStation 5: Release Date & Price announced
Sony PlayStation has officially announced the details on the release date and the price for the PlayStation 5 console.
In an announcement, the company revealed that the PlayStation 5 will launch on November 12 in select regions, with November 19 launch in the rest of the world.
There are two editions of the PlayStation 5: The PlayStation 5 with Blu-Ray Disc Tray and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition. There are no differences between the editions beyond the disc tray.
In addition, the company also revealed the price.
- PlayStation 5 with Disc Tray: $499
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition: $399
Previously, PlayStation revealed the PS5 design and hardware information during an event back in June, unveiling the new design alongside the first batch of first party games for the console.
Pre-orders will go live at retailers worldwide including PlayStation Direct, Amazon, GameStop, BestBuy, and more soon.
Check your local retailers’ site for pre-order information. PlayStation 5 accessories include the DualSense Wireless Controller, DualSense Controller Charging Stand, Platinum Headset, and Media Remote.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a launch title for the PS5. Activision is partnered with PlayStation for the new game.
Infinity Ward dev: Xbox Series S could be ‘bottleneck’ for next-gen development
Earlier this week, Microsoft officially announced their lower-performing next-generation console called the Xbox Series S.
The company announced that the Xbox Series S will be perform lower than that of the Xbox Series X as it’s an all digital console and priced at $299.
As part of the announcement, Microsoft presented the specifications for the Xbox Series S console.
Here’s the specifications, compared to the Xbox Series X:
The biggest differences developers have instantly noticed is the CPU clock speed of 3.4GHz and the GPU of only 4 TFLOPS compared to the 12 TFLOPS of the Xbox Series X.
Developers have stated online that the fear this could be a potential development hurdle console when games completely switch over to being ‘next-gen’ only developed. Right now, majority of 3rd party devs are making games for the PC, PS4, Xbox One family, alongside Xbox Series X, S, and PS5.
Infinity Ward’s Designer says on Twitter that the Xbox Series S could end up being a bottleneck for development when next-gen only games start to be developed, as they’ll have to develop for a console with only 4TFLOPS. PS5 has around 10TFLOPS of power in its GPU.
The first Call of Duty game to hit next-gen consoles will be Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The game is expected to be ‘true 4K’ on PS5 and Xbox Series X with up to 120FPS play for those consoles.
Treyarch has not stated what the performance will be like for the Xbox Series S console.
Xbox Series X & S: price, release, and pre-order confirmed
Xbox has officially announced the details on the release date, the price, and the pre-orders for the Xbox Series X & S console.
In an announcement, the company revealed that the Xbox Series S & X will launch on November 10.
There are two editions of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Digital Edition.
In addition, the company also revealed the price.
- Xbox Series X: $499
- Xbox Series S: $299
On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision becomes reality with the most performant, immersive and compatible next-generation console gaming experiences, and the freedom to play your games with your friends, anytime, anywhere.
To empower you more than ever to jump into the next generation of gaming, today we confirmed: Xbox Series X, our most powerful console ever made, and Xbox Series S, next-generation performance in our smallest console ever built at a more affordable price, launch globally November 10, pre-orders start September 22.
Pre-orders will go live at retailers worldwide including Microsoft, Amazon, GameStop, BestBuy, and more starting September 22.
Check your local retailers’ site for pre-order information.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will be available on the Xbox Series X and S on November 13.