GameInformer has shared a new interview with Treyarch’s Studio Design Director, David Vonderhaar, where he answers about 195 Questions in a “Rapid Fire QA” video posted.
Here’s a breakdown of everything he revealed:
- Blackout has a player count of 80. Internal testing up to 115, “with any luck”
- Treyarch Testing split-screen for Blackout
- Not a simulation
- Blackout might take place in North California
- Treyarch is not ruling out adding characters from other Call of Duty games, but they’re current plans include Treyarch based characters
- Blackout will have limited time events events to use/unlock certain content, Vahn says content may not be characters
- There are a few types of Armor
- No plans for cosmetic based loot in matches
- Weapons do not have a rarity variation in Blackout, Vahn states in the interview that it makes the rest of the game confusing
- Mission for characters and mission progression unlocks new content
- Players can trade items between players, presumably within squads.
- Dead players will drop their stashes, which you can loot. If you pick up a weapon that is quest related, you can take over the quest.
- Zombies spawn at at least four locations at specific zombies based locations. Vahn says, “look for the ray of light”
- It’s possible circle can close in on pack of zombies
- Circle will be randomly directed in games. They don’t want it closing outside of the map or in water places too often.
- Blackout indirectly affects other game modes
- Helicopters spawn at Helipad or similar locations (locations like dirt patches)
- You can pack up to 10-20 loot items onto the cargo vehicle, if you try to go over the limit, the loot will just drop off
- Players are allowed to hold two primary weapons
- Blackout features a “victory quote” when you win, but specifics not revealed
- Zombies is the only A.I
- There’s no third person. It’s all first person. “First person shooters and put them on the internet.”
- The point of the beta is to ensure game tuning, item tuning, progression are all on track to the numbers Treyarch
- Vahn won’t comment on Blackout going standalone, says he “makes the shoe” and not the business decisions
- GameInformer asks if you can camp in a tub, Vahn says that won’t work and you won’t win like that.
- Players can find Ruin’s Grappling Hook and use this. Any character can use the hook, you don’t have to be Ruin to use it.
- Icon above your character
- There is fall damage
- Horns on vehicles can be honked
- There’s no other weather than the day light setting. Vahn says “you have to be able to see.”
- Firing Range and Nuketown Island mentioned
- Nuketown Island has mannequins
- Little Bird is a small helicopter in Blackout
- Blackout will have emotes, Treyarch wants it in at launch
- There is a melee weapon in Blackout that has to do with Zombies
- Asked about Zombies lore, Vahn says “nova gas symbology, circle outside”
- Raven Software are working with Treyarch on Black Ops 4
- Vahn say enjoys SHG’s take on Prop Hunt. Say it may come to Black Ops 4 MP
- There is no headquarters social space in Black Ops 4
- 5 Vehicles in Blackout
- Vahn wanted wingsuit during introduction to BO4 but opted for parachuting
- No voiced lines/dialogue between characters in BO4
- At least one Mason in Blackout
- There is no cross platform play
- 20 characters to choose from at Blackout launch, possibly 22 — all 20 characters should be in the beta.
- There is some introduction to characters, but compact/small
- There could be relationships between specialists
- Difficult to run at 60 fps at Blackout size, but 60 fps is a consistent target and can be hit
- Vahn says they will not lock FPS. Says “no way” for 30 FPS lock. Game Informer mentioned that Blackout runs at 60FPS on PS4 pretty well.
- The circle may be made of Nova Gas, Vahn says being caught outside is “bad news”
- Free Run is not in Blackout, but there are references to it
You can watch the full video HERE.
COD 2020 Teasers: Black Ops 4 Summit map, Treyarch social profile
As we opened our new crates that Activision sent through, Black Ops 4’s Summit map got an update.
The screens in the center of the map in Black Ops 4 turned on which seem to match to what some of our slides show:
There’s also a look at clocks of 4 out of the 5 locations that some of us got as part of the slides to see:
These changes do appear to be new, especially the screens with the targets on them. Analyzing older images of the maps showcase that the screens were not showing the same thing.
In addition, Treyarch has updated their cover photo on social channels.
It’s getting cold out there…
Gameplay from Black Ops 4’s canceled campaign mode revealed
A user on Reddit, r/BlackOps4, has shared what appears to be the very first footage of gameplay from the canceled campaign mode of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which released in October 2018, was the first Call of Duty game to not have a traditional campaign mode, instead opting to have three online-based modes.
Treyarch insisted throughout the year that they really didn’t have plans for a campaign and were focusing on an online connected experience for Black Ops 4, but many reports and sources described the campaign as being too ambitious and canceled because of issues with development.
On Reddit, a user has shared about two minutes of alpha footage of the gameplay of Black Ops 4’s campaign. The campaign, in alpha-state footage (meaning its not complete), had a very similar HUD to the MP experience of Black Ops 4. The user claims that the campaign and MP were supposed to be connected, and that’s why the HUD is so similar.
The gameplay starts by showing a message of “FIND THE AQUILUS CEO.”
Here’s the gameplay footage:
The user who posted this has not said where they got this gameplay footage as of now. He said he only has this footage, alongside an augmented footage of the engine of BO4, which he is not releasing at this time.
Double XP live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 through February 6
To celebrate the big game this weekend, Treyarch is activating Double XP Quad Feed in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 this weekend – starting now.
Live in game now is:
- 2XP in MP
- 2XP in Zombies
- 2XP Party Game Moshpit
All of this is live in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. This is live through February 6 at 10AM PT.
For those still enjoying Black Ops 4, enjoy a new XP weekend!
Dead Ops Arcade set to return in Black Ops Cold War
Treyarch has teased the return of a fan favorite Zombies experience for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. In...
Black Ops Cold War Zombies Characters: MP Operators & more
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s Zombies brings a a twist to the mode that is unique, and never...
Black Ops Cold War – Die Maschine Intro Cinematic
The Zombies reveals continues. Treyarch has released the new Die Maschine Intro Cinematic video on the Call of Duty YouTube...